Penn State Values
The Values are as follows. Click on each for examples of the Values in action.
INTEGRITY: We act with integrity and honesty in accordance with the highest academic, professional, and ethical standards.
RESPECT: We respect and honor the dignity of each person, embrace civil discourse, and foster a diverse and inclusive community.
RESPONSIBILITY: We act responsibly, and we are accountable for our decisions, actions, and their consequences.
DISCOVERY: We seek and create new knowledge and understanding, and foster creativity and innovation, for the benefit of our communities, society, and the environment.
EXCELLENCE: We strive for excellence in all our endeavors as individuals, an institution, and a leader in higher education.
COMMUNITY: We work together for the betterment of our University, the communities we serve, and the world.
- Penn State Values: A Message to Our Community (President Eric Barron)
- Penn State Values - Living Them Every Day
- Penn State Values - Community
- Penn State Values - Discovery
- Penn State Values - Responsibility
- Penn State Values- Respect
- Penn State Values- Excellence
- Penn State Values- Integrity
- YOU@PSU: Ethics and Compliance Statements (pdf)
- Penn State Values Statements for Faculty to Use on their Syllabi
- Conversation Starters
- Examples in Action
- Values Q&A
- Sample Communication for Leadership/Managers
- Ethical Decision-Making Model Flyer (8.5x11)
History and Development
For more information on the Penn State Values, please see the following resources:
- University to Begin Promotion of the Penn State Values, January 29, 2016
- President Barron Unveils Penn State's Values, January 18, 2016
- Town Hall Meetings on the Penn State Values to Begin This Month, February 18, 2015
- Community Feedback Forms The Penn State Values, September 19, 2014
- Faculty Senate Forensic Report on Penn State Values and The Pennsylvania State University Values and Culture Survey, August 22, 2014 (p.14-31)